Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Inspection Day


It is Al’s inspection day.  Ted DeSantis, our certification consultant of choice, is here doing an airworthiness inspection.  He does thorough inspections and works very hard to find anything not airworthy. We are glad for his professionalism that keep our pilots flying safer.

Ted is an independent certification consultant that works with the Phoenix MIDO and what does that acronym stand for: the FAA Manufacturing & Inspection District Office.  I decided to see what else I could find of interest on the website:
MIDOs assist with:
  • Production approval and certification (Manufacturing)
  • Airworthiness Certification
  • Manufacturing facilities approval holder issues
  • Manufacturing Designee oversight
  • Support to ACOs during design approvals

The second one listed is happening today with Al’s Plane. I find my reaction to government websites about the same as to mathematics-I only indulge when necessary and I don’t think I go any further today. 
Let me just say that our builders usually follow these steps:  They submit paper work to Ted, have lots of pictures, and when the paperwork is all in order, he submits the paperwork and the inspection can be scheduled with Ted by the builder.






NEWS FLASH:  Just got word from the build center that Al passed the inspection and can now fly his plane.

Everyone will have lunch prepared by Crystal; one of Ted’s favorite dishes.
                   
Ernie came back to do some work on his canopy…how many does it take to do this task?  One turning the screw and three watching.  Isn’t that what a build center provides, supervision?  
                                         


Ernie said that he also was getting a new oil cooler.  Gary has this fabrication down to a science. I caught him as he begins to cut the metal.


 

                      And it fits over this  

These two Lightnings standing nose to nose are certified airworthy. On the left is the newest certified Lightning (Al’s) and on the right Ron’s Lightning.








Next week is Thanksgiving.  Good friends and dear family members are among some of the things that I am most thankful for. Also, I consider it a blessing to live free among the beauty that I do, here on the edge of nowhere.



May you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Lightning Blogger